Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out with the crowd;
Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack,
I don’t care if I never get back.
—Take Me Out to The Ball Game, Norworth/Von Tilzer, 1908.
Do you remember eating Cracker Jack as a kid? That box of buttery caramel popcorn with a toy at the bottom was always one of my favourites. So I recreated it in this cannabis-infused caramel pot-corn recipe one rainy afternoon when I was feeling nostalgic.
This is now one of my favourite party recipes. It’s not only popular among my guests but also makes my house smell fantastic! The thing I love about this recipes is it allows people to dose accordingly. A few pieces of caramel potcorn may be enough for some and those that require extra medication can titrate their dose.
And because this recipe tastes amazing I suggest you make an unmedicated batch as well (clearly labelled of course) for those who can’t stop the munchies.
Caramel Pot-Corn Recipe
Makes 5 quarts (24 servings)
- 1 cup infused cannabutter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 quarts popped popcorn (24 cups)
- Roasting pan(s)
- Sauce pan and utensils
- Preheat oven to 250°F (95°C).
- Place popcorn in a very large roasting pan or split between two smaller oven-safe containers.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil without stirring for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in soda and vanilla.
- Pour in a thin stream over popcorn, stirring to coat evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool before breaking into pieces. (Do not leave too long or caramel may stick to baking dish.)
- Store in airtight container
- Mix pecans or peanuts (like real Cracker Jack) in with popcorn before covering in the caramel sauce, and continue as instructed.
- Add precooked or candied bacon before covering in caramel sauce and continue as instructed.
- Replace vanilla with maple or butter rum extract for a different flavour profile. (Maple bacon caramel pot-corn, anyone?)
If you are new to edibles please begin with a half-serving and wait one hour before ingesting more to ascertain your tolerance.
If you find you’ve consumed too much edible, please do not panic. You are okay. Drink some orange juice, listen to some music, and maybe take a nap. You will sleep well.
**May cause drowsiness, please do not operate heavy machinery.**